Checking in

Firstly, one year ago today I had 150 mci of radioactive iodine. I'm so grateful 365 days have gone by. That was a such a hurdle for me, and I'm so glad to see it in the rear view mirror. 

So it's that time of year again, and I'm having tests and things now. I had labs done yesterday and saw today that my TSH is at 0.01 again. That's odd because that's what it was in December, right before I asked my endocrinologist to please adjust my dosage because I didn't like the side effects I was experiencing. She made the adjustment, and my TSH was up to 0.02 in February. So I don't know how it's dropped again, which as you may remember actually means I'm more hyperthyroid.

The area where I live gets pretty hot in the summer, and as a person I just run hot most of the time. But lately I've been wondering if I might be feeling hotter than others. I've just felt feverishly hot lately. There is the possibility that I'm just imagining it. I'm ambiguous. Then today I was shaking somewhat. That wasn't cool. It's Saturday and I'm just laying around, and I think I waited too long to eat lunch. As I ate, it didn't go away right away. I knew I would be fine, but I really don't like that.

I asked Dr. Chan if she was going to schedule scans for me, and she said not yet. She said I'd get labs done and be referred to Radiology for an ultrasound first. I'll just copy and paste part of her response: "After the neck ultrasound and thyroglobulin results are ready, we can know whether we will do Thyrogen-stimulated whole body scan or whether we need to consider radioactive iodine treatment."

That hit me like a ton of bricks because I considered having radioactive iodine this year an impossibility. When I think about my situation, that was just not on my radar. Maybe that's a good thing? Because ever since she said that, I've been worrying about it. I get stressed out thinking about having to tell my superiors at work that I need four weeks off. I think, maybe I can take less time off this time. But honestly, I was a sick puppy last year and that treatment took a lot out of me. I wonder how it will turn out. I am just hoping there is no new growth. I will keep you all posted.

On a different note, it's always interesting to see what Google searches bring people to my blog. I get all that info, and some searches surprise me, while other make me a little sad. Ones like "can you eat jolly ranchers on low iodine diet" make me laugh because I directly address that in a blog post. One I just saw that made me sad was "lopsided smile after neck dissection." Whoever that was, if you're still reading, I want to show you how much better I'm doing...all nerve damage and lopsidedness has left my body.

Here are some recent pics of me:

 Headstands at the American River

 My sister in law and I at her wedding, where I had the privilege of being a bridesmaid. My smile is all nice and even now

My Mom put together a little surprise party for me. Can't wait to dig into this cookbook

Celebrating my 21st birthday

Comments