Total thyroidectomy surgery

My total thyroidectomy surgery was June 1 at Kaiser Roseville. I was somewhat nervous, but I didn't go nuts. The big lump on my neck was really bothering me, so I was so anxious to be rid of it. I got to the hospital, put on the gown and went through the whole process. Finally the time came to say goodbye to my mom, dad and my boyfriend. They wheeled me away to the OR. I get in there and it's really cold. I see on the whiteboard "Mary Cullen," and I had to tell the nurse that's not my name. Like really, was that an omen?! I had to tell him that Mary is my middle name, Caitlin is my first name. And then I fell asleep. Finally!

I woke up asking for pain medication. That's what I remember at first; those were my first conscious thoughts. Then I saw my family. That was nice, and such a relief. I had a private room, and later I was told that I was on the oncology ward of the hospital. That was certainly a lot to think about. Like wow, this is real. Fortunately, I was able to get myself to the bathroom quite soon after surgery. That gave me a sense that, "Ok, it's still me. I can walk."



This is me riiiiight after surgery, still in recovery. Its very spooky for me to look at because I only vaguely remember asking my boyfriend to take it. I forgot about it for a while, and then he sent it to me weeks later. That's ice on my neck.


The stay in the hospital went quickly. My head was really affected by the surgery because the incision was sewn up so tight, so my head was tilted forward a bit. It was many weeks before I could hold my head up straight.

We went home the day after surgery. I guess we were at the hospital a total of 36 hours, give or take. My cousin Nichole came to visit the next day. She is 15 years older than me and she is married with three beautiful kiddies, but we have a lot in common and I think we can read each other's minds. We both have two brothers, so we are essentially sister wives. Anyway she came to visit // take care of me and she brought her five year old and 14 month old. I have a pretty small apartment, so it was tight quarters. If I could go back, I would do it all over again, though. It was great to have my tiny little place so full of love and support. After surgery, my mom cleaned my whole place. It wasn't even dirty, but she was on her hands and knee scrubbing my bath tub. That's the kind of mom I have.

I took Norco for the pain, and it did the job perfectly. I had a lot of fear before my surgery about taking pain medication. (Sidebar: I had four wisdom teeth removed in January and all I took was advil!) I was afraid that the medication would make me feel intoxicated and I was afraid I'd say things I didn't mean or behave strangely. Fortunately, none of that happened and I was totally present mentally.

Looking back, I didn't relax and take it easy as much as I could have. I just really wanted to be normal and functioning again! So I went to Trader Joe's in the first week after surgery, and I went shopping at Ross. When my incision opened up and got infected seven days after surgery, I was really kicking myself.



Here I am sometime after surgery. I think right after this, I realized the incision had opened.


Yeah, the wound opened up and the skin glue that was spread over the wound got all in it. I went to my post-op appointment 10 days after surgery and my surgeon was definitely disappointed to see the condition of the incision. He said it had never happened to any of his patients. He wondered if my skin just had a bad reaction to the skin glue. I'm allergic to latex, though the skin glue didn't contain latex. He had to clean the wound out. Let me just say that I've had a belly button piercing and I've gauged my ears to 0g. I have tattoos in two of the most painful places, my ribs and my inner bicep. I know pain! Make no mistake about that. When the surgeon cleaned out my infected wound, I just sat there crying and sweating and it was like getting a tattoo. It was awful.

I had to dress the wound three times a day so the skin could heal and come back together. What I had was a little cavity and I was so afraid for how I would look as a result. I cried myself to sleep two nights in a row after the infection. I'm talking long, full sobs for maybe 10-15 minutes. Which is a long time. And it felt miserable. But I think that was the natural reaction. It just felt like a really dark time.

I dressed that wound three times per day and it hurt so bad, but finally the skin did come back together. The surgical tape I used to dress it gave my chest a gnarly and painful rash. I was so afraid my skin wouldn't recover and I'd have skin discoloration. Luckily it did recover.


This is what the opened incision looked like. See all that redness around the wound? That's from the surgical tape. SO painful!


I would have to soak gauze in sodium chloride and essentially stick it into the cavity.


Then I had to put tape over that. I wasn't happy.


Then the cavity started to shrink.


And look at that! It closed up. It felt like magic.


So now my focus was just to keep my neck covered and enjoy my summer. I returned to work around June 25. Now I just had to wait for a date for the radioactive iodine treatment.

Comments

  1. Thanks for this great account. I'm on Po day 6, going through this alone without a wonderful support system like you had, and it is do helpful to read the thoughts of another person who went through this surgery. I hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I hope you are doing well now. I'm scheduled for a surgery tomorrow. Can you please share a pic of how your scar looks now. I'm freaking out about the whole procedure. Your blog helped me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your experience! My surgery is scheduled tomorrow at Kaiser Roseville as well. Can you share who your doctor was? Mine is Dr. Babb. I realize your surgery was almost 5 years ago but he has been there over 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi ! Im rea from Philippines , I already read your journey having thyroid cancer, I have to (papillary Thyroid Carcinoma) and I really scard of having this 😭😔 but when I read your story , something motivate and calm me, and thankyou for that. I hope I have a strength to do surgery 😔

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am 29 years old and have been diagnosed with breast cancer, ease of treatment and a similar story, except for my first acceptance as a rejection of herbal medicine. I was not part of the Perseid movement and did not really build relationships with any of them, I just believed in their operation. I say this because it was during the use of Dr. Itua herbal medicine that I now attest that herbal medicine is real, the phytotherapy Dr. Itua heal my breast cancer which I suffered for 2 years. Dr. Itua herbal medicine is made of natural herbs, with no side effects, and easy to drink. If you have the same breast cancer or any type of human illness, including HIV / AIDS, herpes cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancratics cancers, bladder cancer, bladder cancer, prostate cancer, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.kidney cancer, lung cancer, skin cancer, skin cancer and skin cancer.testicular Cancer, , LEUKEMIA, VIRUSES, HEPATITIS, INFERTILITY WOMEN / MAN, LOT OF LOVE, LOTTERY. ITS CONTACT EMAIL / WHATSAPP: info@drituaherbalcenter.com Or drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete
  6. Before people said there is no cure for herpes virus but today many people have now believe that there is a cure,herpes virus can be cured through Africans roots and herbs, dr.ubarlo he is the one of the great herbal doctor in Africa and he has the cure on this virus last month he share his herbal medicine in some medical hospital and now he is well recognize as one of the best in Africa, you don’t have to be sad any more or share your tears any more on this virus when the cure have already be find by dr.ubarlo email him on drubarlohome@gmail.com or Whatsapp number +2348119508814

    ReplyDelete
  7. ThyroidectomySurgery Thyroidectomy is the removal of the thyroid gland or lobe, and is indicated for malignant thyroid nodules.3 Patients with follicular neoplasms have a 20 to 30% chance of having thyroid cancer. Therefore, they usually undergo a lobectomy to remove the affected thyroid lobe. After analyzing the removed tissue, if it turns out to be malignant, a completion thyroidectomy is performed to remove the remaining thyroid tissue.3 Patients with a thyroid nodule causing hyperthyroidism, that can’t or refuse to be treated with radioactive iodine therapy or a medical approach can be treated with surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog post about total thyroidectomy surgery provides valuable information and insights into this surgical procedure. It's a critical topic for individuals facing thyroid issues and considering this surgery. Your post covers various aspects, including the procedure itself, potential complications, and the importance of choosing a skilled surgeon. For anyone in Sydney seeking the expertise of a plastic surgeon just click here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog post on Total Thyroidectomy Surgery is a valuable resource for anyone seeking information on this procedure. Thyroid surgery can be a daunting prospect, and your post provides a clear and informative overview. You've outlined the process and importance of the surgery, shedding light on what patients can expect. Visit Day in Australia - Write For Us If you would like to write about Health.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The section about potential complications is a bit worrisome, but I'm grateful for the awareness. Could you elaborate more on how to minimize these risks or steps patients can take to ensure a smoother recovery? Perhaps some lifestyle changes or specific precautions?
    Anyone in Sydney in need of the services of a plastic surgeon should contact Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing your journey battling thyroid cancer. Your story is inspiring and offers hope to others facing similar challenges. Wishing you continued strength and health on your journey to recovery. Cássio Cunha Lima Cassação

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment