Eating vegan

I've been eating vegan for nearly 18 months now and am still really enjoying it. I thought it was time to post some more food. No this isn't a vegan food blog, but I did introduce the idea that I eat vegan and I want to keep showing you what a great thing it is. My love for cooking has evolved wonderfully and I really like trying new things. Where I live, there are some options for eating out. I'll show those too.


Delicious vegan pizza made with Trader Joe's pizza dough and sauce, daiya cheese, Tofurkey Italian sausage, and Yves vegan pepperoni, plus spinach, cilantro, and peppers.


Tofu black bean tacos with salsa and cilantro.

Tofu, carrot, quinoa, and hummus wrap.


Broccoli, fingerling potatoes, bell pepper, blackberries, dill chickpeas, quinoa.


Tofurkey Italian sausage, quinoa, bell pepper, dill chickpeas, broccoli.


Chili with quinoa and cilantro on top.The chili has three different kinds of beans and is seasoned with garlic, cumin, and basil. The cumin is very helpful and gives a meaty taste/smell.


Baked potato with black beans and chipotle salsa, and vegan cream cheese and chives on top.


Chili cheese fries with vegan thousand island that I made on 4th of July this year. It was an awesome treat.


Strawberry basil pancakes. This was using Isa's recipe that can be found here.


First time using seitan was a huge success! It was delicious! Seitan is a high-protein meat substitute made from vital wheat gluten. I sauteed it in coconut oil with garlic and paprika seasoning. Served with yellow curry potatoes and peas over quinoa.


This is the chile verde from Mother in Downtown Sacramento. Mother is a newer vegetarian restaurant.The dish has hominy, beans, and roasted potatoes, garnished with jalapeno, cilantro, and radish.

This is the vegan meatball sub from Ike's Place. It's a sandwich shop chain in the bay area. PETA voted Ike's meatballs the best vegan meatballs in the U.S. I get this sandwich every chance I get. I didn't even like meatballs when I ate meat, but these are soooo good.

This is from Baagan in Roseville, a healthy all vegan restaurant. I always get a cup of kitchari, which is millet, quinoa, I think some other grains, and curry. The smoothie was a special from around St. Patrick's Day, it was a shamrock shake of sorts. It had mint, cacao, and I think spinach and maybe spirulina.

I'm by no means an expert on eating vegan, and I'm still finding my way with getting enough protein and other things. I just started reading a really great book called Vegan For Her and have already learned so much. If I'm lazy, I can be under-nourished while eating vegan. It takes effort to get everything I need, but it's so worth it! I no longer find it acceptable at all to eat deceased animals or milk and eggs from mistreated animals.

I believe my body is greatly affected my what I eat. I aspire to eat less processed foods and make more things from scratch. I want to make my own almond milk, my own bread, pasta, muffins. I'm in a bit of a stage of limbo right now in my life, moving around staying with different family members. I should be back on my feet again in my own kitchen soon.

And just a p.s. I live in California, where we are experiencing a severe drought right now. It's estimated that producing one pound of meat takes 100x the amount of water it takes to produce a pound of wheat. Half--HALF--the water used in the U.S. goes to the animal food industry. I get so upset thinking about this huge industry, and this country's insatiable hunger for meat. It's been said that if slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be vegetarian. We could all benefit from eating less meat. It's the least you could do for Mother Earth, who gives and gives, and we keep multiplying, expanding, taking, on a level that is not sustainable. This will be our undoing. Okay, there's my rant.

Comments