Month leading up to surgery

After the second diagnosis, my parents and I had a meeting with my endocrinologist and the head of sub-specialty medicine at Kaiser. They didn't apologize as much as I'd have liked them to for the mistake that was made in my misdiagnosis, but whatever. Dr. Chan explained that her gut instinct had been that it was cancer. She explained the various indicators she had seen. So I still trusted her judgment. My Mom was very concerned and brought up that perhaps I should have a new biopsy. Of course it makes sense--the results of the first biopsy had been misread and mishandled and it felt tainted. But I felt so fragile and bummed out about everything and I didn't want to have another biopsy, so we moved on.

My Mom took me to the Cheesecake Factory, my favorite restaurant, after that meeting. The pain of this journey has been softened by doing fun things like eating at my favorite restaurant or just doing fun things. I had a lot of fun things to do in May, actually. I saw Modest Mouse live in Palo Alto with two friends, Sadie and Emily. I love the band and had seen them live with Sadie a few years earlier. Both times were at outdoor festivals and they just played brilliantly. Then later in the month, Sadie and I saw Tenacious D live in Oakland. It was a sold out show and we were front and center for the entire show. It was heavenly. Man, it feels emotional to look back on that time. I had so much fun, but it was on my mind that I'd be having surgery soon. Like I consciously knew that I'd always remember that night and how it felt. It felt like a movie...once again coming back to "How can it be me that has cancer?"

I also finished the spring semester of school in May. That felt like such a huge relief. I completed the last math class I'll ever have to take, which is such a relief. All the stress and the ups and downs of my health took a toll on my studies, so it was fantastic to be done with the semester.

Surgery was re-scheduled for Friday June 1 for a total thyroidectomy.

Here are some photos of my last days pre-surgery. I was having a lot of fun, and I knew it was the end of a chapter of my life.


My friends Sadie and Emily and I saw Modest Mouse at the Frost Revival at Stanford in Palo Alto on May 19.


Sadie and I saw Tenacious D in Oakland on May 24. We were front row, front and center. One of the best nights of my life.


This was me the night before surgery. See that lump on my neck? Bleh.


Comments

  1. No I do not see any lumps and I was working in thyroid nuclear imaging lab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure who you are? I don't know if you're someone I know or not? The nodule on my thyroid was nearly 6cm, so there was definitely a large lump there. It was on my left side, but you can see it in the picture on the right. It was especially highlighted at that angle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a safe & effective Natural Herbal Medicine. For Total Cure Call    +2349010754824,  or email him   drrealakhigbe@gmail.com       For an Appointment with (Dr.) AKHIGBE contact him. Treatment with Natural Herbal Cure. For: Painful or Irregular Menstruation. HIV/Aids. Diabetics. Vaginal Infections. Vaginal Discharge. Itching Of the Private Part. Breast Infection. Discharge from Breast. Breast Pain & Itching. Lower Abdominal Pain. No Periods or Periods Suddenly Stop. Women Sexual Problems. High Blood Presure Chronic Disease. Pain during Sex inside the Pelvis. Pain during Urination. Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, (PID). Dripping Of Sperm from the Vagina As Well As for Low sperm count. Parkinson disease. Lupus.  Cancer.  Tuberculosis.  Zero sperm count.  Asthma.  Quick Ejaculation. Premature Ejaculation. Herpes. Joint Pain. Stroke. Weak Erection.  Erysipelas, Thyroid, Discharge from Penis. Hepatitis A and B. STD. Staphylococcus + Gonorrhea + Syphilis. Heart Disease.  Pile-Hemorrhoid.rheumatism, thyroid,  Waist & Back Pain.  Male Infertility and Female Infertility. Etc. Take Action Now. contact him & Order for your Natural Herbal Medicine:  +2349010754824  and email him    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    Note For an Appointment with (Dr.) AKHIGBE.I suffered in Cancer for a year and three months dieing in pain and full of heart break. One day I was searching through the internet and I came across a testimony herpes cure by doctor Akhigbe. So I contact him to try my luck, we talk and he send me the medicine through courier service and with instructions on how to be drinking it.To my greatest surprise drinking the herbal medicine within three weeks I got the changes and I was cure totally. I don't really know how it happen but there is power in Dr Akhigbe herbal medicine. He is a good herbalist doctor.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment